After taking a break from watching the Lightning or having any internet for two weeks, I'm still trying to catch up with all the news that happened. Here are the links I've found useful to read this week:
Your Lightning links:
- Raw Charge writer, Nolan Whyte talks about hockey blogging and being a Lightning fan in Toronto. I have to agree with Nolan when he writes "I have no affiliation with the city or any direct connection to anyone that has ever been with the club" but it is the blogging that makes blog writers feel like a participant
- USA Today ranks the Lightning in the #7 spot of their team rankings
- Getting to know Dominic Moore in The Hockey News
More links about the Lightning and the rest of the NHL after the jump...
- Also in The Hockey News, Ken Campbell with his thoughts on the Roloson trade
- Damien Cristodero complains on his blog that Steven Stamkos didn't get voted an All-Star by the fans. I don't really see what the big fuss is about because Steven Stamkos will still be chosen as an All-Star by the NHL
- In case you haven't heard (well you probably haven't if you live in the US) Canada beat the US in the World Juniors on Monday to move on to play the Russians in the goal medal match that takes place later today. Two Lightning prospects, Brett Connolly and Carter Ashton play for the Canadian squad. Team USA takes on Sweden today in the bronze medal match.
Your links from around the NHL:
- Justin Bourne in Puck Daddy discusses the misconceptions and hidden charms of NHL referees
- If you missed the link that appeared in one of the posts earlier this week, Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts which includes a reasoning why Yzerman traded for Dwayne Roloson
- The Sports Business Daily says that the NHL may struggle to match record Winter Classic rating in 2012 as they go up against the NFL
- Derek Zona argues that the Blue Jackets should host the 2012 Winter Classic...but let's be realistic here: no matter how 'committed' the NHL says they are to expansion markets, this isn't going to happen
- According to Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun, Ottawa GM Byran Murray tried to fire coach Cory Clouston about a month ago but the Senator owner Eugene Melynyk nixed the idea
- In The Province, why the Vancouver Canucks may be the best team in the NHL
- 50,000 fans are expected to watch a Mexico v. Bulgaria IIHF U20 game that is being played outdoors in Mexico City's main square. Yes, you just read that it is being played outdoors.
- On Puck Daddy, Pass or Fail: Versus' superhero-themed NHL All-Star Game ad