After having pimped the SB Nation IPhone App a few times (and teased that the Android version is forthcoming. Before the holidays), this time I get to announce another smartphone application Bolts fans will take interest in, that will be available on Android, iOS (iPhone) and Blackberry systems.
That application is an official smartphone app from the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The application, which launched Tuesday and is by YinzCam, Inc, is still in the beta stage. It's available at this time on the Android Market. The iOS and Blackberry versions will be launched at a later date.
The application, from my own once-over of the app: The design is sharp. Statistics are kept fresh, and a Gametracker is included in the Appl. Most of the other options are what you would find on the team web page, but this friendlier than the mobile version of the Lightning web site.
If you're attending tonight's game, you might want to take a test drive to see just how well it follows the statistics during play.
[Note by John Fontana, 11/05/11 12:12 PM EDT ] VP of Brand Management Lynn Wittenburg told us via Twitter that the iPhone and Blackberry versions of the application are "to come next week". We'll update you when these apps are released to the public.
The official press release from the team is below the jump.
LIGHTNING LAUNCH FIRST-EVER MOBILE SMARTPHONE APPLICATION
App Currently Available to Android Market; iPhone, Blackberry Versions Forthcoming
TAMPA BAY – The Tampa Bay Lightning proudly announced today that it launched its first-ever official mobile smartphone application to keep fans informed and in touch with the team throughout the 2011-12 season. The beta app is currently available to the Android market and can be downloaded by fans with the Android operating system athttps://market.android.com. Versions of the app compatible with iPhones and Blackberry devices are forthcoming and will be released at a later date.
"The first-ever Lightning Mobile app is an exciting tool that will allow our fans to better interact with the team and increase the value of our brand," Vice President of Brand Management Lynn Wittenburg said. "It will provide our fans with an increased opportunity to ‘Be The Thunder’ all season long."
The Lightning Mobile app provides fans with a unique opportunity to enhance their gameday experience across a number of distinct platforms. Among the features for fans to enjoy are:
• News: Real-time breaking news from the Lightning, previews of upcoming matchups and postgame blogs
• Video: Video-on-demand clips of Lightning press conferences, coach and player interviews
• Photos: Galleries of game-time action
• Audio: Podcasts
• Stats: Real-time statistics and scores from the official NHL stats engine, head-to-head stats of the matchup, player stats, box scores, and scoring summaries
• Standings: Division and conference standings
• Social Media: One-click email, text, Tweet and Facebook posting of all media items
• Schedule: Schedule of upcoming games, and scores/stats of previous games from the season, ticket purchase for games