This is the first time we've posted a Quick Strikes since the SB Nation United conversion. How are you taking to things? Yeah, it's still odd and there are continuity issues from where we are sitting too (newest stories? Why are the sidebars bounding around from left to right?). We're getting used to things, though, and the SB Nation tech team is working on mending the experience of the users as well.
With all that said, we're two weeks into the 2012 NHL Lockout and... Nothing's changed really. The sides have spoken this weekend. They've been in contact over the first 14 days of the lockout too, even if those meetings weren't always face to face. That's a big difference from the 2004-05 lockout, where sides were in a stare-down and giving each other the silent treatment for months on end.
It really doesn't make a difference until we start hearing "sides are close" though, now does it?
NHL CBA / lockout news:
- Krys Barch could be accused of going the way of Dan Ellis on Twitter, spouting off about the lockout and the league... That or it could be looked at as him waxing poetic while speaking from the heart. [Defending Big D]
- There are certain things being tossed around by news sources, beat writers and others about the lockout. But just how factual are these statements about the league, the NHLPA, and the labor negotiations? [Winging it in Motown]
- After three straight days of meetings, the NHL and NHLPA will not be meeting on Monday. The postponement of the 2012 NHL season is also imminent. [The Sporting News]
- Even with the potential of the 2012 NHL season being outright lost to the lockout, the Tampa Bay Lightning will still pay out $20.3 million to players this year. [Tampa Bay Times]
- Syracuse Crunch goaltender / Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Dustin Tokarski is now on Twitter [Twitter]
NHL and General Hockey News
- Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi trolled Edmonton Oiler fans via Twitter after the Seattle-relocation hubaloo last week. [Calgary Herald]
- The LA Kings asked bloggers their thoughts on the threat for the Oilers to relocate. [LAKings.com]
- Oilers owner Daryl Katz wrote out an apology for having himself and the team play out the relocation card last week. Some find the apology self-serving. [Copper and Blue]
- The crowd over at the Litter Box has been working all summer to summarize the Panthers all time players. Just about all of them. Every. Single. One. They've finally reached #1 and #1 is a very, very fitting number for the fellow. [Litter Box Cats]
- New Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates will co-coach the team's AHL affiliate, the Hershey Bears, during the lockout. [Capital Games]
- The Francois Allaire / Toronto Maple Leafs divorce perked up the interest of New York Islanders faithful, as one of Allaire's trouble-spots with the Leafs was none other than former Isles head coach Scott Gordon [Lighthouse Hockey]
- Players sometimes break glass during hockey games. It's just something that happens. How often do they do it in celebration though? Not often, but when it happens and it's caught on tape, it's hilarious. Case in point (by way of the Sporting News):