Vincent Lecavalier and members of the Lightning are participating once again in Cut for a Cure, shaving their heads on March 30th. The money raised will go towards the Pediatric Cancer Foundation and the Vincent Lecavalier Pediatric Cancer & Blood Disorders Center at All Children’s Hospital. Lightning players such as Marc-Andre Bergeron, Teddy Purcell, Brett Connolly, Tom Pyatt and Bruno Gervais will take part in this year's cut, and Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon will also be participating (as well as several dozen Tampa Bay business leaders)For more info and to see who is participating head over here to their website to check it out.
Here are your links for the week:
Your Lightning links:
- Damien Cristodero plays ad libs with Guy Boucher: DC:"You're playing Stamkos and St. Louis …", GB: "Too much," (Tampa Bay Times)
- Mike Commodore says that he can still play hockey, "Can I do everything I once could? Maybe not. But I'm not old. I feel like I still have something left in the tank." (Tampa Bay Times)
- There's something very awkward when you read Gary Shelton write "Ride the kid. Ride him hard. Ride him as if he were the last horse in the Pony Express" in reference to Dustin Tokarski. Maybe that's just me (Tampa Bay Times)
- The trade deadline sometimes has benefits for players that remain with the team, such as Brett Connolly who has looked better in the past few weeks than the four minutes of ice time he was getting a few months ago (The Hockey Writers)
The rest of your links after the jump...
- The NHL says the number of concussions among players in on par with last season (TSN)
- Dan Carcillo signed a two-year extension with the Blackhawks (TSN)
- Alexander Radulov can bypass waivers as per Pierre Lebrun of ESPN
- Ellen Etchingham has a post called "In Defense of Don Cherry" (Backhand Shelf)
- Sports Illustrated had a photo gallery of puck bunnies last week, which got taken down a day later, but the response to the photo gallery from Hockey Broad and Elena Palmer on the slideshow rightfully tore it apart
- Puck Daddy has a neat read on the guy who designed the Buffaslug
- Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts: on Bryzgalov's bounce back in the past few games
- Laura has a great post called 'I’ll stop calling you a dick if you stop talking to me like I’m an idiot: making friends with advanced stats geeks' (The Active Stick)
- Daryl Reaugh argues that the morning skate is unnecessary nowadays and should be eliminated (Dallas Stars)
- And Justin Bourne answers back on why it should not be eliminated (Backhand Shelf)
- A study says that rising temperatures in Canada could lead to the end of outdoor hockey in Canada (CNN)
- Ryan O'Byrne will host a Charity Camp this summer which will be a hockey camp featuring on and off-ice instructions. In addition to a scholarship that will send two kids to the camp, outfitting them in hockey gear, it is interesting to note that this camp will take an even split of girls and boys into its roster (Mile High Hockey)
- Do you live in Europe? Or lived in Europe and watched the NHL? If so Jonathan Northall is looking for you to answer some questions for a book he's putting together.