By the time this link goes up, Day Three of Olympic men's ice hockey will be well underway, but things roll on her ein North America and the sport in general. It's nto much, but here are a couple of things form the past two days of note regarding the Lightning and the NHL that you may be entertained by this morning.
This is an open thread, of course, so talk all you want in comments about whatever. TGIF after all...
Do you have a story you'd like mentioned in our Quick Strikes post? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a link and a short description.
Tampa Bay Lightning News
- Tyler Johnson went back to his hometown of Spokane for the early part of the Olympic break, and didn't exactly lay low about the fact on Tuesday night. [KSWX Right Now]
- The Lightning recalled goalie KKristers Gudlevskis from Syracuse and sent down Cedrick Desjardins on Wednesday night... Even though Kristers is in Sochi and the Bolts are idle at the moment. Desjardins lingers on the Lightning roster for four days during the break still remains curious.
- Anyone remember that Jonathan Drouin kid? He had a tough night Wednesday - got into a fight. Oh, and he also got 3 assists in the Halifax Mooseheads 5-4 overtime win. That fight was his first in the QMJHL ever [YouTube - the video is below]
General NHL and Hockey News
- Currently seeded eighth in the Western Conference, the Dallas Stars have a battle in front of them to make the playoffs this season [Defending Big D]
- While the Olympics and the remainder of the NHL season are our focus, the 2014 NHL draft is something to keep in mind for the future. Here are February's draft rankings [Last Word on Sports]
- Jaormir Jagr's farewell tour takes him to an all too common destination in his career - being shopped in the trade market as the NHL trade deadline nears [Sportsnet.ca]
Twitter follow of the day
Meet Thomas, a British New York Rangers fan who blogs at Springing Malik. He tweets out general observations on the game and about the Blueshirts: