- In Bob McKenzie's new book, there is a very heartwarming story about how a goal by Steven Stamkos at the 2008 World Junior Championship may have saved a life. [TSN]
- You may have heard about the Florida Panthers' incredibly thin crowd for their game against the Senators on Monday night. Puck Daddy discusses why the attendance was so poor that night. [Puck Daddy]
- Former Tampa Bay Lightning forward Simon Gagne, part of the 2011 team that made it to the Eastern Conference Final, has signed with the Boston Bruins on a one-year deal. [Stanley Cup of Chowder]
- With Dan Boyle out of action with a broken hand, could Sami Salo be an option? [Save By Richter]
- In the latest CBS power rankings, the Bolts have moved up seven spots with the help of Steven Stamkos, Victor Hedman and Ben Bishop. [CBS Sports]
- There are some sweaters around the league that need an overhaul. Icethetics gives their take on it and provides some concepts. [Icethetics]
- The Edmonton Oilers Ryan Nugent-Hopkins got in his first fight on Saturday and is day-to-day as a result. [Sportsnet]
- The Adirondack Flames have pulled the plug on their mascot, Scorch. A fan made a tribute video in response. [YouTube]
- San Jose Sharks forward John Scott made Washington Capitals' Brooks Orpik and Braden Holtby look silly last night as he scored his first goal since December 27, 2013. [Puck Daddy]
- The Edmonton Oilers loss in Los Angeles last night and cold start this season is not inspiring...
"When you've missed the playoffs since 2006 and your time in the playoff race can be measured in days-not weeks, not months-it increases the early-season urgency. That's why I entered the season with the mindset that it's never too early. I've woken up during the first week of November asking what happened, and the answer is always the same. October happened, and if you didn't care enough to worry from the season's opening puck drop then you missed the only relevant hockey the Oilers play." [Hockey Buzz]
Quick Strikes for Wednesday, October 15
A heartwarming story in an excerpt from Bob McKenzie's new book, defense of the Florida Panthers' sparse crowd Monday night, the latest power rankings, and more in our Quick Strikes for Wednesday, October 15.