- Five players must still be cut ahead of the Tampa Bay Lightning's season opener against the Florida Panthers on October 9. Head coach Jon Cooper has put all the remaining players on notice by saying, "There are still spots open." [Tampa Bay Times]
- One guy who is making a strong case to be on the roster on opening night is Jonathan Marchessault. [Tampa Bay Lightning]
- A panel of SB Nation contributors shared their picks to take home Lord Stanley's chalice. [SB Nation]
- Jack Eichel is expected to be the next face of American hockey. That's a lot of pressure. But Eichel says he thrives under pressure. [SB Nation]
- San Jose Sharks' blog Fear The Fin says your league-average goaltender is not the problem. [Fear The Fin]
- The New York Islanders played their first preseason game in Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Lighthouse Hockey writer Chris McNally gave the new venue an excellent review. [Lighthouse Hockey]
Quick Strikes for Tuesday, September 30
As the Tampa Bay Lightning continues to trim the roster to comply with the opening day limit, competition heats up. Check that out and more in our Quick Strikes for Tuesday, September 30.