- Hockey season is sooo close! The ice at Amalie Arena is finally being installed today.
- This is a really great story. Sam Bridgman is currently a student in University of South Florida's MBA Sports and Entertainment program. He also currently serves as an intern for the Tampa Bay Lightning. The 24-year-old has Friedrich's Ataxia, a progressive neurological condition that affects his coordination. He uses a wheelchair now, but when he graduates in two years, he plans to leave the wheelchair behind and walk across the stage. [Bay News 9]
- Groupon has a deal for a Tampa Bay Lightning preseason game, and you can get a puck signed by Steven Stamkos. [Groupon]
- Hedman made this list of top five most overvalued players in fantasy hockey. Also making the list were LA Kings goaltender Jonathan Quick and Chicago Blackhawks defenseman - and reigning Conn Smythe winner - Duncan Keith. [Today's Slapshot]
- Jake Virtanen of the Vancouver Canucks became perhaps enemy number one in Edmonton on Friday after he, um, welcomed Connor McDavid to the NHL at the Penticton Young Stars tournament, hosted by the Canucks. (Okay, Virtanen flattened him.) [Canucks Army]
- Speaking of young stars, the Dallas Stars (see what I did there?) are participating in the annual prospect tournament in Traverse City. Here is how their prospects have done so far. [Wrong Side of the Red Line]
- Hockey Israel is hoping to raise money and interest for its program through a charity game against Dallas Stars Alumni, which was held Saturday, Sept. 12. The game featured beloved former Stars, such as Marty Turco and Guy Carbonneau.
- This one is for all you fans of advanced statistics. A hockey analytics conference will be held Oct. 10 in Rochester, N.Y. If you are interested in attending or just want to see what it's about, check it out here. [In Lou We Trust]
- After missing out on the playoffs last season, Claude Julien and the Boston Bruins plan to change up some of their strategies. Their breakouts will be one of those changes. [Boston Globe]
- Pekka Rinne is considered one of the best goaltenders in the league, and he plays a big part in the success of the Nashville Predators. He played 64 games last season, his third consecutive 64+ game regular season. How many will he play this season? [Today's Slapshot]
- Kristen Tamberg and Emma Woods were named assistant captains of the Quinnipiac University women's ice hockey team. They will serve as assistants to captain Cydney Roesler. [Quinnipiac Bobcats]
Quick Strikes for Monday, September 14
A great story about a current Lightning intern, Connor McDavid's welcome to the NHL, and info about a hockey analytics conference are just some of the stories you will see in today's Quick Strikes.
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.