It was implied Wednesday morning by GM Steve Yzerman that the bulk (if not complete) roster cut-down from training-camp size to perhaps the final roster size could be done today. It seems like a rush-job to do it, as the 2015 training camp only got underway a week ago, but Lyon, France makes it understandable. Lyon, France will be hosting the Syracuse Crunch training camp (as it did last year) with preseason games against the Utica Comets and the Lyon Hockey Club (LHC).l
The schedule of events in Lyon (generalized) is:
- Tuesday, September 29 - Arrive in Lyon France
- Thursday, October 1 - game vs. Utica - 8 p.m. at Patinoire Charlemagne Arena, Lyon
- Friday, October 2 - game vs. Utica - 8 p.m. at Patinoire Charlemagne Arena, Lyon
- Sunday, October 4 - game vs. LHC - 2:30 p.m. at Patinoire Charlemagne Arena, Lyon
- Monday, October 5 - Return to Syracuse
It is a team bonding exercise and building, to travel to Europe and partake in games and training so far away from the norm. Yet trips like this have become a mainstay of the Lightning's AHL affiliate - starting with the Norfolk Admirals. The training and preseason wasn't always to Europe, but they were out-of-the-way and off the beaten path. A close-nit team has its advantages over a squad of loners, after all.
The Crunch's regular season opener is October 10th against the Leigh Valley Phantoms while it's home season debut will be one week later against the Binghamton Senators (October 17 at War Memorial in Syracuse).