- Grant Point had bought tickets to Thursday’s season opener without knowing whether his son, Brayden, would make the team. That gamble paid off. [Tampa Bay Times]
- Some familiar faces delighted fans at the game.
Look who is at the game tonight! Filip Kuba and Mathieu Garon signing for fans ⚡️#lightningalumni pic.twitter.com/R2XMPipFEJ— TBL Alumni (@boltsalumni) October 16, 2016
- What a rookie mistake: Mathew Barzal of the Islanders was penalized for playing the puck while standing inside the penalty box. [NBC Sports]
- Watch Canadiens rookie Artturi Lehkonen net his first NHL goal. [Habs Eyes on the Prize]
- Another rookie, Mitch Marner, scored his first NHL goal... but his mother missed it because she was in the bathroom. [NHL.com]
- The Devils may have lost to the Lightning, but Travis Zajac is close to a team record.
Travis Zajac tied Claude Lemieux and Jamie Langenbrunner for 13th all-time in Devils' history for goals with 142.— Andrew Gross (@AGrossRecord) October 16, 2016
- Has former Bolt Richard Panik solidified his spot with the Blackhawks after his hat trick? Yes, a thousand times yes. [Second City Hockey]
- The Ducks are keeping Clayton Stoner, but he’s waiting for his shot to actually get in the game. [Orange County Register]
- Jack Eichel discusses his injury. [Die by the Blade]
- The Rangers suffered a blow to their blueline: Dan Girardi’s injury may be more than day to day. [Blueshirt Banter]
- When James Van Riemsdyk got a call from Brendan Shanahan.
JVR on Shanahan calling him in the summer: "I'm like, 'Oh God, am I on my way out of here? What's going on." Nope, just had to change his #— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) October 16, 2016