- Like we mentioned every so often (lately) voting is open for the Creative Loafing Best of the Bay for 2016 (and there are many Lightning related items to vote on). [Creative Loafing Tampa Bay]
- Ah! And now the Lightning organization itself is getting into this voting thing! Vote for the best play of the 2015-16 season! [Tampa Bay Lightning]
- The "Bolt from the Past" series continues on Lightning blog Roar of Thunder with a nod toward the crease and attention give to the former team netminder who wore #93 with the club: Daren Puppa. [Roar of Thunder]
- A long time independent blogger is joining the staff of one of them networked Tampa Bay Lightning blog type places on the Interweb... [The Hopeful Chase]
- It ain't a sale at JCPenny®; it's a sale at the War Memorial... Ticket sale. [Syracuse Crunch]
- In transaction news around the NHL: Center Antoine Vermette has been bought out by the Arizona Coyotes. [AZ Central]
- Meanwhile, the Columbus Blue Jackets officially signed Sam Gagner to a one-year deal. [Columbus Blue Jackets]
- Outside the transaction column, 2009 1st round draft pick and current Buffalo Sabres Evander Kane put down a not guilty plea at his arraignment in Buffalo. Read the details of the court case here. [Die by the Blade]
- The NHL Players Association is asking for an NHL lawsuit against the PA to be dismissed. The case is tied to defenseman Dennis Wideman's hit on a linesman during the season that was. [Sports Business Daily]
- It's the dead of summer and it's still more than a year before the NHL's new club out of Las Vegas, Nevada suits up... But that doesn't mean Las Vegas fans or you can't see T-Mobile Arena in ice hockey form... [The Sin Bin]
- And finally: A long, long time voice in the hockey blogosphere, Seth Rorabaugh who has written for Empty Netters since 2007, announced he's done and over. [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
Quick Strikes for Tuesday, August 2
A writer added! A long time blogger lost. A couple of noteworthy polls for you (yes, you) to participate in, and a bit of news from around the league for your Tuesday reading.
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.