Hi guys. It seems my fellow Tampa Bay Lightning fans are nursing hangovers this morning, so I am here to get the conversation started.
There was mixed reaction to our Nikita Kucherov’s Miller Light-fueled moment of truth from his post-win presser, with some people clutching their pearls and pointing out how non-Canadian it all is to speak more than just bland hockey phrases, and others chuckling and taking it for what it was — Kucherov’s excellent heel turn.
- In the words of Jeff Marek from the 31 Thoughts podcast, “The game needs villains.” His point was clear, that even if you hated Kucherov’s words, you should embrace the hate — it inspires rivalry between fanbases. “Nobody ever goes to a hockey game to watch people be respectful to each other,” Marek said. The podcast’s breakdown of the game is worth a listen.
- The Athletic (paid): The NHL needs more of Nikita Kucherov’s shirtless, beer-soaked rants — not less
- And then there’s this fella, who I am inclined to like because he rescues animals. It’s a shame he’s never heard a chirp before.
There’s a reason the Lightning are reviled around the league and it’s bad winner shit like this - and the inspiration is the coach, who’s been doing this since he started #TwoCupsNoClass https://t.co/cTPJ5b65GJ— Keith Olbermann (@KeithOlbermann) July 8, 2021
- If you want another well-thought-out answer to the salary cap question, please go listen to Sean McIndoe (Down Goes Brown) rant for a good minute about it on The Athletic Hockey Show. It’s at around the 21 minute mark, and it’s a careful breakdown of what actually happened with the cap. I love the part of the rant where DGB says, “And what actually was the cap hit? Every time fans complain the number grows by a million. By the time the draft rolls around Tampa will be 50 million above cap.” And after a discussion he reveals that the actual cap hit that people are complaining about is — just Kucherov’s. Not Marian Gaborik’s (a non-playing contract added a while back to get Tampa above cap floor).
- Steve Dangle rehashed the game in his Cup Check video. I like all of it except for the stuff at the 10:45 mark where he is forced to relitigate the salary cap stuff. But Steve is Steve and and it’s always nice to hear him discuss Tampa.
Lost in the Kucherov Shuffle is this excellent long-form article from @wyshynski that justifies what I just spent on ESPN+ -- it goes deep into how this Tampa team was built from drafts and trades, and is a great summary of the Yzerman/JBB years. https://t.co/iGVBabrzEu— Acha//evil crone summer (@shortshift3) July 8, 2021
Here’s more stuff to read:
- Steve Wyno, AP: The Tampa Bay Lightning pulled off arguably the hardest title defense in NHL history by winning the Stanley Cup back to back in a pandemic
- NHL: Stanley Cup Playoffs top memories shared by NHL.com
- Yahoo Sports: Did Andrei Vasilevskiy wear oversized equipment? An investigation into a fake controversy
I used x-ray software on that photo of Carey Price and Andrei Vasilevskiy and I think I've uncovered the biggest scandal in NHL history.— Mike Beauvais (@MikeBeauvais) July 8, 2021
Not sure how the Lightning's Stanley Cup win can stand. pic.twitter.com/dYavqQSKZS
- New York Newsday: Hofstra alum Jon Cooper, coach of Lightning, could be Hall of Famer following second Stanley Cup
- Buy stuff!
That’s it for me!
What ya got?