Quick strikes and links for Saturday, May 18th
The Syracuse Crunch continue to run roughshod over the AHL; Marty gets anther nomination; who is on drugs among hockey analysts?
Maybe you've noticed over the past few days that Raw Charge and other sites on the SB Nation network have been having technical difficulties? They've been loading, but have been sporadic. Network issues had hit not only SB Nation but it's sister network sites - TheVerge.com and Polygon.com.
As of around 4:30 EDT this morning, those issues should be resolved, with thanks and praise to the Vox Media tech team who have been trying to remedy things for the majority of the week.
Tampa Bay Lightning News
- Earlier this week, Martin St. Louis was nominated for the Lady Byng [Bolts by the Bay]
- Bolt Prospects gives out a weekly "Prospect of the Week" award for the top player in the Lightning system (...below the NHL team level). This week, the accolade goes to three players and not just one [Bolt Prospects]
Syracuse Crunch News
- The Crunch have swept their way into the Eastern Conference Finals [Syracuse.com]
- Wanna see highlights? Clicky! Clicky! [YouTube Syracuse Crunch channel]
- Syracuse has gone 7-0 in the playoffs thus far, which is an AHL record. The Lightning's AHL affiliate has swept the past four playoff series, dating back to last year's Norfolk Admirals [Syracuse.com]
- Eric Neilsen should not look into a career as a lounge singer any time soon [Syracuse.com]
- Alex does not approve of Chairman How's venting on fan turnout [Chairman How's Glorious Army]
NHL and General Hockey News
- We mentioned the OHL grand finale playoff game was Monday night, and forgot to tell you the end result on Tuesday: The London Knights beat the Barrie Colts with a tenth of a second left in regulation. [Toronto Sun]
- BB&T Center - aka the Litter Box in South Florida - is getting a new scoreboard...on the public dime. [Miami Herald]
- The scandal with Mayor Rob Ford in Toronto has raised the spectacle that a prominent hockey analyst is a crackhead... In which case Battle of California points out five specific hockey analysts who could (or probably are) smoking crack [Battle of California]
- Developer Bruce Ratner suggests the NHL would approve of the relocated Islanders to play six home games a season at Nassau Coliseum after they move to Brooklyn [Islanders Point Blank]
- These 2013 NHL mock drafts are starting to get odd; either it's turning into anyone's-guess after the #1 pick, or people don't know much about organizational needs / wants. [DC Mock Draft Database]
- The United States squares off with undefeated Switzerland today in the IIHF World Championships, here's a preview [The United States of Hockey]
- The finalists for the Jack Adams Award (given to the top coach in the NHL) were announced yesterday. Mike Keenan, Ted Nolan and Terry Crisp were not among them. [SB Nation]
- NBC is carrying today's Chicago Blackhawks / Detroit Red Wings playoff game... They are also carrying the Preakness Stakes later this afternoon. What happens if the game goes to overtime? Will it be pre-empted by horsies? [Steve Lepore Via Twitter]