Quick strikes and links
The biggest news for the Lightning this week? The fact that their AHL affiliate, the Norfolk Admirals have swept the Eastern Conference Finals and will be playing for the Calder Cup.
This is newsworthy in so many different ways, but one of the angles that's been, perhaps, a bit overlooked is, does this mean that Steve Yzerman's plan is working? Has he, in such short time created a system that is going to develop talent with which the organization can build from within? There are a hundred arguments for each side, and obviously, we're still a long time from knowing the true answer, but, perhaps Norfolk's success is another reason to give Stevie the benefit of the doubt.
Below are your Lightning links from the week, with some links from the rest of the league after the jump.
Your Lightning Links:
- The Hockey Writers did a two-round mock draft, and their results for who the Lightning choose may surprise you.
- Ryan Shannon has bounced for the Swiss League and will not be back with Bolts next season.
- Here's a pretty great story: Remember David Carle? Brother of Matt Carle and a last round draft pick - having been diagnosed with a heart condition just prior to the draft - of the Lightning? He's been chosen for a job as a coach in the USHL. It's stories like this that prove that hockey is the greatest sport on Earth.
Your NHL Links:
- John MacKinnon of The Edmonton Journal is none too impressed with the firing of Tom Renney. This sounds strangely familiar to when John Tortorella was kicked off the Bolts' island...
- The owners can blame themselves when the next lockout happens, and Ryan Miller is not pleased about it.
- Speaking of the lockout, Gary Bettman shows that he's completely clueless once again. "Our fans were not only tolerant and patient, but were extremely supportive," Oh really? Is that why TV viewership was the worst it has ever been the year after the lockout?
- It's been said that coaching Juniors if much easier than coaching the pros because young kids will do what a coach says in order to be drafted. As such, Patrick Roy should really look at all sides of possibly coaching the Montreal Canadiens.
- In a sign that could further signal the end of the Tim Thomas era, the Boston Bruins have added some goalie depth.
- And finally, for those of you looking for pretty much any game stat ever, here's your site.