Quick Strikes for Sunday, June 12
Touching on history -- and not just tied to the loss of Mr. Hockey. A few transactions of note and other reads to start your Sunday.
- Delving in to the wonderful world of guesswork and engaugement and tricks and nonsense that is trying to figure out what the Lightning will do with its #27 draft selection. [The Hopeful Chase]
- Jeff Tambellini, who played with the Syracuse Crunch in 2015-16, has signed in the Swedish Hockey League for next season. [Today's Slapshot]
- Have you nominated anyone for the 2016 Creative Loafing Best of the Bay poll? While the process coverage a load of subjects, you might take most interest in the "People, Places and Politics" section to nominate sports people and writers. [Creative Loafing Tampa]
- With the loss of Gordie Howe on Friday, it's fitting that the hockey legend tied to the Lightning, Phil Esposito, gives his own remarks and recollection. [Tampa Bay Times]
- The Detroit Red Wings are moving out of Joe Louis Arena after this season and into Little Cesar's Arena... Not so fast on that arena name! Let's just say there's growing support for personal name for the venue... [Fox 2 Detroit]
- Ovi and company paid tribute to Gordie. [Russian Machine Never Breaks]
- Mr. Hockey almost ended his professional playing career as a member of the Syracuse Crunch?? [Syracuse.com]
- ...and he's coached random adult league hockey teams. [Russian Machine Never Breaks]
- With video, an analysis of how the Pittsburgh Penguins are extending zone time during the Stanley Cup Finals. No word if the strategy also holds sway over NBC Sports Net. [Hockey-Graphs]
- Former NHL'er Theo Fleury did an Ask Me Anything session over on Reddit. If you don't know what an Ask Me Anything (AMA) session is all about, it's basically a general-public interview style -€” the people do the asking of anything, and the subject does the answering. [Reddit]
- Another pending unrestricted free agent has jumped the pond: Goalie Niklas Backstrom is heading to Finland. [InGoal Magazine]
- The Florida Panthers and New Jersey Devils do a little deal: The Devils take on salary and a 2018 2nd rounder in the process. [Litter Box Cats]
- What happens when you notice a key player puts a home up for sale when the time of transactions is forth coming? [St. Louis Game Time]
- A rule for the NHL expansion draft has been leaked out... An element that had been part of many previous expansion drafts. [The Sin Bin]
- Did you realize there's a direct connection between the American Hockey League and the NBA's MVP award? Find out the story here. [American Hockey League Hall of Fame]
- One last thing: if you happen to be an independent blogger who covers the Tampa Bay Lightning, feel free to post a comment with the URL for the site in comments on this post.
A Florida-born hockey player will be selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the NHL draft in...?
|2021 or later||66|