Quick Strikes for Tuesday, August 19
A lot of news around the NHL for your Tuesday, including a list of teams expected to be in the race for the big prize at the end of the season, Connor McDavid.
- The American Hockey League schedule is due to be released in the coming weeks. Just what does it take to complete this tedious but critical task of making a schedule for all 30 teams? [AHL]
- Former Vezina-winning goaltender John Vanbiesbrouck likes where the Florida Panthers are headed, especially with the addition of Roberto Luongo at last season's trade deadline. [ESPN]
- The Florida Panthers, however, could be one of several teams in contention for another big prize: Connor McDavid, who is widely considered one of the best draftees since Sidney Crosby. [Down Goes Brown]
- Recent Columbus Blue Jackets draft pick Sonny Milano is just the latest player to make the jump to the junior ranks in lieu of the NCAA. Is the landscape of amateur development changing? [CBS Sports]
- The Tampa Bay Lightning made some big moves this offseason, mostly to upgrade the defense. Lightning blogger Tom Fernandez takes a look at one of those new additions, Jason Garrison. [Sports Talk Florida]
- A bottle of Powerade is no match for the sniper that is Steven Stamkos. [TSN]
- Another NHL veteran has been offered a tryout contract. This time, it is Tomas Kaberle. [theScore]
- A familiar face among the Lightning family has joined Twitter!
Good news! Our Exec. Director of Community Hockey Dev. (oh and he helped win us a Cup too, small detail) is on Twitter! -> @therealjfeaster— Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) August 18, 2014
- Finally, we at Raw Charge would like to wish the best of luck to Chicago Blackhawks blogger Greg Boysen, who says farewell as the managing editor of his blog on SB Nation. [Second City Hockey]