Syracuse Crunch vs. Grand Rapids Griffins preview: AHL Calder Cup Final Game 3
0-2 series deficit? No problem. They got this.
The bottom line: Syracuse Crunch vs. Grand Rapids Griffins, game 3
The Syracuse Crunch are off to a frustrating start, the likes of which they haven’t really seen so far during this season’s playoffs. But this is the final round. It was made for drama.
Groulx on rebounding at home for Game 3: "We’re disappointed, but we know we have a good team, we know we can play.” #GRvsSYR #FIN15H pic.twitter.com/JOfjOseik9— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) June 5, 2017
It sounds like the Crunch knows what they need to do from top to bottom. As they head back to their home ice for what will hopefully be three games, the team will need to fight harder than ever to keep their series deficit from widening.
Conacher on the Finals: “You just got to have a short-term memory in playoffs…We realize that we can beat these guys.” #GRvsSYR #FIN15H pic.twitter.com/pay15XhgUh— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) June 5, 2017
Their attitudes definitely seem to be in the right place. Now it’s up to the players to put their money where their mouths are.
McKenna on the 2-0 series deficit: “It’s not insurmountable and we’ve always done a really nice job answering back.” #GRvsSYR #FIN15H pic.twitter.com/JFCsvranCo— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) June 5, 2017
There’s no doubt in this fan’s mind that they can do it.
The #CalderCup Finals come to Syracuse this Wednesday.— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) June 6, 2017
It’s time for redemption. It’s time to #FIN15H. pic.twitter.com/HpuzlAJ3AI
Pre-game reading, listening, and viewing:
- Winging it in Motown has their game preview over here.
- Previous previews: game 1, game 2
- Brandon Curtis’ game recaps: game 1
- Instead of a recap for game 2, Brandon and I discussed game two and all of its implications from the perspective of two passionate fans.
- The Crunch is certainly in “regroup mode” as it looks to their contest tonight. What do they need to do to secure a victory? [LocalSyr.com]
- Crunch goalie Mike McKenna is so matter-of-fact it can’t help but inspire confidence: /
McKenna on the seven-game series: "We’re nowhere near the end of this. We have plenty of life left. We believe in one another.” #FIN15H pic.twitter.com/zmFKKmYEzW— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) June 6, 2017
- A good plan going into tonight: defense, defense, defense. [Syracuse.com]
- Defense? Defense: /
Groulx on improvements: "We got to be better defensively in our zone, especially below the goal line. It’s an area that we got to clean up." pic.twitter.com/gCGxoVUrBK— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) June 6, 2017
- The Crunch’s SoundCloud is a great place to go for player interviews and tidbits.
- ESPN Syracuse has an Audio Vault that has a lot of quality Crunch stuff from the past few days.
- Be sure to check out Syracuse’s YouTube channel if you’re looking for highlights, interviews, and recaps.
- You can find more coverage from the team’s beat writer and others, including our friend Brent Axe, over at Syracuse.com.
- While defenseman Matt Taormina is the only Crunch player remaining from the 2013 squad, the Griffins have three players that faced Syracuse in the finals that year: /
Three Griffins, @Mcally15, Brian Lashoff and Nathan Paetsch return to Syracuse for the first time since June 18, 2013. pic.twitter.com/aQsLhIey8g— Bob Kaser (@bkaser1) June 6, 2017
Game night essentials:
- The pre-game radio broadcast with Dan D’Uva will start at 6:45 EST on ESPN Syracuse. You can stream the game in its entirety for free.
- Puck drop is at 7:00 ET in Grand Rapids.
- AHL Live has an amazing special deal this round: watch for free! /
AHL Fans: Stream the 2017 #CalderCup Finals between @griffinshockey & the @SyracuseCrunch for free at https://t.co/H4S6BaaGAM! pic.twitter.com/2r9XZmraL3— AHL (@TheAHL) May 28, 2017
- The game will also be broadcast on Sirius XM:/
Game 3 of the #CalderCup Finals between @griffinshockey and the @SyracuseCrunch will be aired on @SiriusXMNHL tomorrow. Puck drops at 7pm ET pic.twitter.com/NYIbSlZiVU— AHL (@TheAHL) June 6, 2017
- Full media information can be found here:/
Here’s how to watch and listen to the 2017 #CalderCup Finals between your #SyrCrunch and @griffinshockey. #FIN15H → https://t.co/Hu8E0sEPwh pic.twitter.com/rilwOhdF9n— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) May 30, 2017
- Despite all of the different ways to follow the game, the Crunch needs their fans to come out and continue to support their quest: /
Taormina on the hometown fans: “We feed off the crowd, we’ve been doing it all playoffs long. They’re a big energy boost for us.” #FIN15H pic.twitter.com/3xJaodb4UV— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) June 6, 2017
- Free t-shirt? Free t-shirt!/
The first 2,500 fans at Game 3 will receive a blue #FIN15H t-shirt, courtesy of @Toyota.— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) June 6, 2017
Details → https://t.co/CgMMwpfv2M pic.twitter.com/2ky3g4SmUO
Potential lines and pairings for Syracuse:
Adam Erne - Yanni Gourde - Cory Conacher
Michael Bournival - Gabriel Dumont - Erik Condra
Tye McGinn - Matthew Peca - Kevin Lynch
Anthony Cirelli - Byron Froese - Joel Vermin
Potential defensive pairings:
Matt Taormina - Dominik Masin
Slater Koekkoek - Ben Thomas
Jake Dotchin - Mathieu Brodeur
-Daniel Walcott was hurt during round 3’s game 2. He has not played since. He is currently listed as day-to-day.
-Be aware that I really have no clue about these lines. it sounded like the coaching staff shuffled them going into the game, so everything might be a bit jumbled.
Potential lines and pairings for Grand Rapids:
Tyler Bertuzzi - Tomas Nosek - Martin Frk
Eric Tangradi - Ben Street - Mitch Callahan
Evgeny Svechnikov - Kyle Criscuolo - Matt Lorito
Matthew Ford - Dominic Turgeon - Colin Campbell
Potential defensive pairings:
Brian Lashoff - Robbie Russo
Nathan Paetsch - Joe Hicketts
Dan Renouf - Dylan McIlrath