Links: Logo design, TV ratings
I won't get all wordy with my intro today since Matt just posted his Southeast Division roundup and I'm sure the game preview is following on my heels, so let's just get straight to this weeks links:
- Nate Thompson doesn't practice as a precaution and will not play tonight which has Cristodero asking is this a concussion?
- The NY Times looks at how the Lightning logo was re-designed. Did you know that the oval around the bolt is supposed to suggest forward movement?
- Do they Lightning have one of the worst logos in professional sports? (Yahoo!) I don't agree, but a lot of you seem to think so
- Puck the Media breaks down some stats from the Sports Business Journal. Sun Sports lands itself in the bottom five of the local TV ratings of viewership per household in the United States
- Stamkos just turned 21 years old yesterday and has the league lead in goals and points (LHB)
Lots of links from the NHL after the jump...
Links from around the NHL:
- Puck Daddy started this weekend by reporting on huge changes that might come to Versus
- The Anaheim Ducks sign Ray Emery to a one-year, two-way contract (TSN)
- Peter Forsberg signs a deal with the Colorado Avalanche (Puck Daddy), but is having some immigration issues that is delaying his comeback (TSN)
- Evgeni Malkin has a torn ACL and MCL and is likely done for the rest of the season. Then in a post by ESPN's Pierre Lebrun, Malkin sends GM Ray Shero a text message that reads "I'm sorry"
- There is still no timeline to Crosby's return to the Penguins according to this AP article
- Bruins officially shut down Marc Savard for the rest of the season (Bruins)
- After going 13-3-4 in their last 20 games, the Calgary Flames have clawed their way back into playoff position in the West (Matchsticks and Gasoline)
- After last night's loss to the Flames, and going for 0 for 9 on the powerplay in their last two games the Chicago have reached their breaking point (Puck Daddy)
- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN writes that trade talks are heating up, Jagr and the Heritage sponsorship being strong
- Ottawa dropped their 10th straight game last night to the Canucks and have only had one win in their last 17 games. Silver Seven looks at possible Senators for sale, such as Mike Fisher. Wonder how much pull Carrie Underwood has on him going to Nashville.
- Dany Heatley Speedwagon of Scarlett Ice criticizes Matt Carle's tweet over the weekend asking for followers in exchange for him donating $10,000 to charity. Is this an act for the sake of charity or just a stunt to grow his twitter fanbase?
- Roy Macgregor of the Globe and Mail writes that marginal NHL players lack respect
- James Mirtle writes about Toronto goalie James Reimer, the 'miracle' from 'the middle of nowhere'
- Phil Kessel sounds off on Ron Wilson, and then follows up the next day saying 'I love Toronto. I want to be here' (Globe and Mail)
- Elliotte Friedman: Time for Kessel to step up and his weekly 30 thoughts
- In Puck Update, for some players earning less salary is more. Is the added pressure of playing up to the salary or length of contract hurting their performance?
- On the Frozen Blog talks about the best friend a hockey blogger could have: the PR guy for the Capitals Nate Ewell
Your video of the week: Steven Stamkos at the All-Star red carpet