Quick Strikes for Friday, September 26
Lots of updates on Lightning owner Jeff Vinik's new partnership with Bill Gates, some regular season predictions, and more Top 25 Under 25s in your Friday morning links.
- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates' Cascade Investnment LLC is backing Lightning owner Jeff Vinik's "billion dollar" development plan downtown Tampa. [Tampa Bay Business Journal]
- Vinik's plan for Channelside may also be including purchasing the 719-room Tampa Marrriott Waterside, nestled nicely between Amalie Arena and the Tampa Convention Center. [Tampa Bay Business Journal]
- The Tampa Bay Times has their take on this latest Channelside development, including the always-burning question regarding a new home for the Tampa Bay Rays. [Tampa Bay Times]
- Back on the subject of hockey, More and more predictions for the 2014-15 regular season are rolling in, and the Tampa Bay Lightning continue to be a trendy pick. [Hockey Buzz]
- The 2014-15 Tampa Bay Lightning media guide is available in PDF form. [Tampa Bay Lightning Official Site]
- You'll need ESPN Insider access (paywall alert!), but Corey Pronman has ranked the Top 25 players in the NHL under age 25. Steven Stamkos comes in at #1. [ESPN Insider]
- Ever wondered what all the various painted logos at center ice have been throughout Lightning history? Wonder no more. [Frozen Faceoff]
- Assessing the first round draft history of the Lightning -- who busted? Who made it? [Pucks on the Fly]
- He'll downplay his own involvement, but Dean Lombardi definitely deserves credit for building a perennial contender in Los Angeles. [Frozen Royalty]
- Interesting responses to polling from a slice of the "bring the NHL to Seattle" crowd. [NHL To Seattle]
- You might not have known that actor Keanu Reeves had some puck-stopping skills as a young goaltender in Toronto. [The Hockey News]
- Usually we see these in the other direction, but this is a nice "Englishman's Guide to Hockey", complete with team comparisons between NHL and Premier League clubs. [Mr. Porter]
Which right wing has a better chance to make the Tampa Bay Lightning roster on opening night?