Syracuse Crunch vs. Providence Bruins preview: AHL Eastern Conference final Game 1
The Crunch have made it to the conference final for just the third time in organizational history. The last time was in 2013.
The bottom line: Syracuse Crunch vs. Providence Bruins, game 1
It’s a brand new day, a brand new series, and a brand new...ball game? Hockey game?
Ahh, mixing metaphors so early in a series must mean exhaustion that only a game 7 can bring.
Indeed, the Syracuse Crunch certainly took their fans on a wild ride last round, winning every game at home, losing every game away, and securing their place in the Eastern Conference final during a wild game 7.
Conacher on the team effort: "The leadership group brought these guys together and made sure we were on our game for the full 60 minutes." pic.twitter.com/jrhKmNr6hX— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) May 18, 2017
Unfortunately for the Crunch, none of that means anything now.
Well, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration. Every game Syracuse has played has served to teach a lesson. Every game has brought this team closer together. Every game has, in one way or another, lead up to this moment, the next moment.
The barn was rocking for Game 7. Let's keep the energy going for the Eastern Conference Finals! #FIN15H— Syracuse Crunch (@SyracuseCrunch) May 18, 2017
You are our home ice advantage. pic.twitter.com/pGruX4iW8u
Victory is fairly fleeting in the playoffs. One night’s victory almost needs to be forgotten as soon as it happens as the next game is usually lurking around the corner. That has never been more true for both the Crunch and Providence. Both won hard-fought game 7’s Wednesday night. Both teams had to travel, the Crunch from Syracuse and the P. Bruins from Hershey, Pennsylvania. Both teams will now play tonight, just two days later, against each other.
The @AHLBruins and the @SyracuseCrunch battle it out for the East title. Game 1 this Friday. #PROvsSYR pic.twitter.com/SjabFdRaR1— AHL (@TheAHL) May 18, 2017
Syracuse and Providence met only twice during the regular season. The home team took the victory each time.
What you may have missed from last round:
- Game recaps of round two against the Toronto Marlies from Brandon Curtis: game 1, game 2, game 3, game 4, game 5, game 6, and, finally, game 7.
- Photo gallery of games 1 and 2 and game 5 of the Toronto series from our amazing photographer Scott Thomas. (Game 7 gallery coming soon!)
- The Crunch’s SoundCloud is a great place to go for player interviews and tidbits.
- Be sure to check out Syracuse’s YouTube channel if you’re looking for highlights, interviews, and recaps.
- You can find coverage from the team’s beat writer and others, including our friend Brent Axe, over at Syracuse.com.
- Speaking of Brent, his game 7 reflection is nothing short of brilliant. /
Game night essentials:
- The pre-game radio broadcast with Dan D’Uva will start at 6:45 EST on ESPN Syracuse. You can stream the game in its entirety for free.
- Puck drop is at 7:05 ET.
- AHL Live has special playoff pricing deals for every game of the AHL playoffs, as well as team-specific packages. There’s also a pay-per-view option.
- Be sure to follow the team on Twitter for updates if you’re away from other options./
Potential lines and pairings for Syracuse:
Line rushes during warm ups Wednesday:
Michael Bournival - Yanni Gourde - Cory Conacher
Adam Erne - Gabriel Dumont - Joel Vermin
Tye McGinn - Matthew Peca - Erik Condra
Daniel Walcott - Byron Froese - Kevin Lynch*
Defensive pairings during warm ups Wednesday:
Matt Taormina - Dominik Masin
Slater Koekkoek - Ben Thomas
Jake Dotchin - Mathieu Brodeur
*Lynch was healthy scratched Wednesday though he warmed up.